East Midlands League
The East Midlands League (League) is a series of East Midlands open (district) events and run much like leagues in other sports. Certain district events are nominated by the EMOA as League events. Individuals gain points towards their League position from each League event they compete in, with their eight best results counted. The Leagues run annually from January to December.
The leagues are based on the Colour Coded courses,so if you choose to run in different Colours, you will score points in each of those Colours. The points will not be aggregated, though! Those persons with the highest points in each Colour at the end of the League period - win!
Would you like to sponsor the EM League? If you did, the League could be called after you! Contact us to discuss.
Table 2014 (updated 22 October 2014)
Table 2013 Table 2012 Table 2011 Table 2010 Table 2009
Table 2008 Table 2007 Table 2006 Table 2004/05 Table 2003/04
East Midlands League Events 2014
The following are the events in the League for 2014:
|12th January||Willesley Woods (LEI)|
|19th January||Matlock Moor (DVO)|
|2nd February||Thieves Wood (NOC)|
|23rd February||Lindop (DVO)|
|16th March||Fineshade (LEI)|
|23rd March||Burwell and Haugham (LOG) (date changed from 9th March)|
|30th March||Shining Cliff (DVO)|
|27th April||Allestree (DVO)|
|8th June||Burrough Hill (LEI)|
|22nd June||Carsington (DVO)|
|21st September||Longstone Moor (DVO)|
|12th October||Byrons Walk (NOC)|
|19th October||Bradgate (LEI)|
|30th November||Beacon Hill (LEI)|
|7th December||Kedleston (DVO)|
|21st December||Walesby (NOC)|
|28th December||Spring Cottage (LEI)|
East Midlands League rules and details
If there are any queries please contact Ursula Williamson at:
The East Midlands League (League) is an informal competition with no entry forms or entry fees - it is open to all members of East Midlands Orienteering Clubs and affiliated schools and groups. To take part you simply compete as an individual at the events within the region which have been nominated as part of the League. Once you have run a given Colour on at least two occasions, you will be automatically included in the league for that course. There will be a handicapping system to enable juniors, seniors and veterans to compete against each other with a fair chance of success.
The handicapping system will be the same as in previous years. It has been refined over the years and found to be as fair as possible. There are 17 events included in the League this year, in each league the best 8 events will be counted.
The results will be processed by computer. For the system to work efficiently it is essential that you enter the same details on your registration card at each event, i.e. forename, surname, sex & age class and club or group.
Inclusion in the League is automatic.
If you do not wish to be included please let us know.
63 Loughborough Road,
Leics LE12 8DU
Tel: 01509 412132
The League Rules 2012
- The League will take place at a number of specified District (C4) events and will be open to all members of EMOA clubs and affiliated schools and groups.
- The League will comprise 16 leagues, with separate male and female leagues on the Colour Coded courses White, Yellow, Orange, Light Green, Short Green, Green, Blue and Brown. There will be no league for Red or Short Blue courses.
- Any member may participate in any of the Colour Coded leagues, with the exception that M/W 14s and above who are members of the EM Junior Squad will not be counted as competitors in the Orange league or below. When a person has run a given Colour Coded course at 2 League events, s/he will be included as a participant in that league. A person may compete in more than one Colour league, both within the League as a whole and at any individual event, only the first course tackled will be deemed to be included. No person will be given more than one prize at the end of the League.
- A competitor's total score will be the sum of his/her best eight event point scores calculated as below.
- At each event points will be allocated to each participant as follows:
- The race time of each competitor will be adjusted by an age-based percentage handicap (see below).
- The winner of each course on the basis of these adjusted times will be given 1000 points.
- Other competitors will be given points according to the formula: competitor's score = 1000 x winner's adjusted time/ competitor's adjusted time
- The percentage handicap adjustments will be as follows: M/W 10 & below: 62% M/W 12: 68% M/W 14: 73% M/W 16: 79% M/W 18: 85% M20: 97 % W20: 94% M/W 21: 100% M/W 35: 94% M/W 40: 88% M/W 45: 82% M/W 50: 76% M/W 55: 71% M/W 60: 65% M/W 65: 60% M/W 70: 55% M/W 75 & above: 50% The above adjustments will be applied to the race time of all competitors on all courses, with the exception that any Senior or Veteran competing on White, Yellow or Orange courses will be given a handicap of 100%.
- The age class used for each person will be that which applies at the date of the event.
- The Organisers cannot guarantee to include competitors whose full details (name, sex & age class and club) do not appear in the official results of a given event. If a competitor uses different names at different events the computer will assume that they are different people. Please use the same details at all events!
- Appeals against the results of any event in the League should be made in the first instance to the Organisers within 10 days of publication. If necessary, the Organisers will refer the appeal to the EMOA Committee.